Activities in Allerton
On this page we have provided some ideas of all year round places to visit . This is for information only and we make no guarantee of safety or suitability for your family and care would be needed for their safety in all these public spaces, some of which include water.
Local Information websites
- Visit Bradford is an excellent website with links and maps to all the events going on in the Bradford district. http://www.visitbradford.com/
Things to do http://www.visitbradford.com/things-to-do/
Ideas and Inspiration http://www.visitbradford.com/inspiration/
- Bradford has 5 or more great, free museums, see this website for ideas. http://www.bradfordmuseums.org
Bradford has many lovely parks including Lister Park and St Ives. This website links to all the Bradford Parks with details of events http://www.bradforddistrictparks.org/
- For information about local events, courses and children’s clubs see the Café west website. http://www.cafewest.org.uk/
- For bus timetable information contact Metro on 0113 2457676 or www.wymetro.com. There is sometimes a special day ticket deal where 5 people can travel for £7.
Places to go
- The amazing City Park in the centre of Bradford
- Allerton Library. firstname.lastname@example.org
Avenel Road, Allerton,BD15 7PQ
Telephone 01274 437222
Disabled access, meeting room, DVD’s and Audio Books,Free Internet access, word processing. Printing available. Storytelling sessions. Open after school till 7pm Monday and Thursday; till 5pm Tues and Friday; Sat till 4pm
- The Media Museum in Bradford has free entry and interactive displays for children as well as mini cinema booths where you can choose film and cartoon clips from the past to watch.
- St Ives Estate and Country Park with fantastic adventure playground equipment, tyre swings, glider, great sculpture trail, lake - free entry. http://www.bradforddistrictparks.org/sites/parks/parks.php?ID=80
St Ives includes a sculpture trail that is great for children - it includes a dragon... For a downloadable map click here http://www.bradforddistrictparks.org/sites/documents/St%20Ives%20Walks.pdf
Getting to St Ives by Bus - The 616 bus service from Bradford Interchange goes up Allerton Road and stops by the entrance to St Ives Estate. For bus timetable information contact Metro on 0113 2457676 or www.wymetro.com.
Getting to St Ives by car: There is free parking around the estate - one car park on the right hand side as you enter and further parking near the playground.
- Lister Park with boating lake, park for toddlers and children, art gallery
By bus - the 680 bus from the BRI towards Bradford city centre (not Smiddles Lane) takes you to Lister Park gates on North Park Road.
- Bolling Hall http://Calderdale.gov.uk/leisure/museums-galleries
- This site has a list of all the museums in Halifax
- Eureka http://www.eureka.org.uk/ is expensive at £9 but amazing. If you go once to Eureka you get free entrance for a whole year. You can get to Halifax either by train or bus from the Interchange.
- For those feeling a little more adventurous there is a direct train from Bradford to York where there are also many free museums including the National Railway Museum which is free.
- Or go to Ilkley where there is a lovely park and river and Ilkley Lido with indoor and outdoor swimming pool. Take the train from Forster Square train Station.
- Allerton Congregational Church: www.allertoncongregationalchurch.org.uk
Local children’s activity in Allerton
Here are some ideas of children’s activities in Allerton. Again we cannot vouch or take responsibility for any of these activities - it is important that you judge whether they are appropriate for your child/children.
Please let us know if there any other activities we could include.
Kidz Klub Allerton
Contact Kate Sulc 01274 360026 / www.kidzkluballerton.co.uk
Kidz Klub (Age 5-11): Monday 6.10-7.30pm. Costs 50p. Cafe West
Whizz Kidz (Age 6-11): Thursday 3.50-5.15pm. Costs 50p. Cafe West
Holiday Activities (Age 5-11).
Friday Family Food run by Kidz Klub Allerton. Friday 10-12noon. Costs £3. Cafe West. Cook a meal to feed your family.
Also Cafe West has Art classes, exercise classes, Zumba Dancing, Line Dancing
Rainbow Brownies St Peter’s Church Hall 5.15-6.15pm Tuesdays, Tracey Green 01535 274263
Brownies St Peter’s Church Hall 6.30-7.45pm Tuesdays, Jane Scurrah 01535 275229
Guides St Peter’s Church Hall 7.45-9.15pm Tuesdays, Helen Barfield 01274 545501
For young and preschool children:
Allerton Children’s Centre Tuesdays - Stay and Play Toddler Play, Jazzy Feet Toddler Dance, Socatots and Story in a box activities every week.
Allerton Children's Centre
The Children's Centre is based at Allerton Methodist Church - they have lots of activities throughout the year.