Special Educational Needs and Disabilities ( SEND)
Here at Allerton Primary School and Nursery, we welcome, value and respect all children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND). Our aim is to provide a happy and safe environment where all children can thrive, achieve and meet (and where possible, exceed) their potential. We deliver a broad, creative and exciting curriculum where every child has an opportunity to succeed.
All staff work to ensure the inclusion of all pupils by:
• Setting aspirational targets for all pupils.
• Employing rigorous monitoring of the progress of all pupils.
• Identifying the needs of pupils with SEND as early as possible.
• Making appropriate provision for all pupils through Quality First teaching.
• Ensuring that appropriate additional support is provided in the form of strategies, resources and/or specific interventions, for those pupils who have barriers to learning which cannot be met through Quality First teaching alone.
• Working effectively with appropriate outside agencies (e.g. Learning Support Service, physiotherapists, paediatricians, specialist teachers and schools) to put in place strategies and programmes to meet specific learning needs.
• Employing a core team of highly skilled staff, in an increasing range of special educational needs.
• Employing a team of learning mentors, committed to working with pupils and their families who may be experiencing social, emotional and behavioural difficulties.
• Employing a specialist Speech and Language Therapist (SALT) and Education Psychologist (EP). These professionals assess identified pupils, implement interventions and provide support to staff in school. This support is also extended to pupils’ families, where appropriate.
Please note: If your child already receives speech and language therapy in the community, they must attend these appointments. The school SALT is for children who are not already seen by the community SALT.